Thanks to everyone who made it out to our first meeting. There were great ideas put forth. The future is bright for VLBS. Here are the big points from the meeting.
1. We are taking applications for a new position on the executive board. The position is VP of Membership and this person will serve as a liaison for the general membership in the executive board. Interested individuals should email Steven Ryan
2. Our purpose. The purpose of this organization is to be an umbrella organization at which channels student interest in law and business in a variety of ways. We will do this through publicizing events pertaining to our interests in business and law, coordinate student introduction to the law and business program at UVa law, foster alumni relations, networking, and more.
3. We have a variety of programming ideas in the works. There currently is the employer spotlight event with Wilson Sonsini Goodrich and Rosati on March 28th, and a law and business kickoff planned for September 7th. The law and business kickoff is intended to be an introduction to the law and business groups and resources that we have at UVa law. We are also working on events that have to do with alternative careers in law and business, practice area spotlights, alumni networking, and professional skills sessions through the Career Services office.
4. We are collecting dues for next year. For the rest of the semester dues are $10 and this covers your membership for next year as well. If you wait until next year to pay your dues it will be $15-$20. So pay your dues now and save some money. Give your dues to Jason Mann (you can put them in his mailbox, and make checks out to Virginia Law & Business Society). These dues will cover the high quality events we have planned and enable our organization to expand and grow. Dues paying members will be able to hold leadership positions and take full advantage of the organization. Also, you will get a shirt.
5. The next steps for the organization. By the time to register for fall classes comes around we will have a "how to" guide on taking classes at Darden (without being a JD/MBA). We are also in the process of drafting a constitution for the organization and are attempting to secure office space from the SBA.
6. Committees. If you are interested in joining a committee please email me and I will get information out to you about that process. We are planning on having an information session in which interested individuals can discuss how we want the committees to function in the future. There will be a need for committee involvement in events/planning as well as in communications.
7. Listserv and feedback. If you want to be on the law and business society listserv please email me and I will add you to the list. Also, if you have any feedback or suggestions feel free to contact me or anyone else on the board.
Power Point Slides: Here